Nairn County FC.  History.
Below is  a copy of a document produced for the Highland News to celebrate the club's Jubilee in 1969 but immediately below are links to other history pages.
Info pre 1919
1919: the events that led to the reformation of the club at
                    Station Park
1928: Amalgamation
1937 Celtic open the new stand and reconstructed ground
1953 Coronation year
Nairn County's swinging sixties
Nairn County's swinging sixties Part 2
Early on 75/76,
Memories of 75/76,   The County's Golden days: Articles by
                    Innes MacDonald, Donald Wilson and Dave Cochrane
Richard Konczak talks to Donald Wilson: The Goalkeeping hero  tells
                    how a kick in teeth  helped win County's title
Extract from the Nairnshire Sports report of 1998
Peter MacKintosh Chariman - Nairn County means business on and off
                   the Park
40 years of a fund-raising legend - the story of Scoosh's efforts for the
                    club

Back to County Home Page

Please,  if you have any Nairn County material from any time at all in the club's history ( photos, newspaper cuttings, documents etc), we would only need them for 5 minutes to scan into internet format, or if you have any memories of the time you would like recorded onto this site please contact via e-mail or any of the old-fashioned means.

Below are details of  1919-69

Founded: 1919
Home colours: Yellow shirts, black shorts, yellow socks
Honours
The Inverness Cup 1977
           Highland League champions: 1975/76
           Highland League Cup winners: 1963/64
           Qualifying Cup winners: 1968/69
           North of Scotland Cup winners: 1956/57, 1962/63, 1963/64, 1965/66
           Stewart Cup winners: 1939/40
           Rosebowl winners: 1938/39
           Morayshire Charity Cup winners: 1924/25
           Elgin District Cup winners: 1920/21, 1931/32, 1935/36
           1997/98 P&J Highland League ranking -- 16th

 Nairn County FC 1919 - Jubilee - 1969

Reprinted from 'Highland News' and 'Football Times' of December 28th, 1968

Just 50 years ago from the ruins of junior football in Nairn, of which only a ground and a dressing room remained, Nairn County (FC) rose to take  their place in senior football when the recently formed club gained admission to the North FA and the Highland League.
It was no easy job.  The game in the town was at a low ebb, when North folk settled down to peace-time problems and the old junior club, which had played in the Morayshire League and North of Scotland junior cup was no more. It was at  the beginning of 1919 that the first moves to form the senior club were made. The late George H W MacKay, at that time playing for Inverness Caley, with the support of the late Mr William Murdoch, called a public meeting, at which only three others attended. They were the late Provost MacRae, George Lobhan and the late Alec Strachan.
Nevertheless, a committee was eventually formed with Sir Frederick C Dunbar of Boath as president, D Mackenzie as the first secretary-treasurer. With messers J Sinclair, D Munro, R Burnett, W MacLennan,  J McKay and W Murdoch completing the management committee.
Despite opposition from some clubs, but with the considerable alliance of the late Mr Angus Forbes, the then North representative of the SFA, Nairn County were admitted to the Highland  League and North FA in the season 1919-20.
The first Nairn County side took to the field in black and gold horizontal stripes.
Within a very short time under George H W Mackay, who captained the team from 1919 to 1925, Nairn County annexed their first trophy - the Elgin and District cup.

HISTORY MADE

Two seasons later, County battled their way to the North FA cup final for the first time and lost 3-1 to Caley and in 1924 the club made history by signing  Peter Farrell of Clyde, as the North's first player-coach.  But by 1928 the club were in real difficulty and it was only the the energy, drive and faith of the late William Murdoch that kept the club going .
He enlisted the help of the two junior clubs in the town - Nairn Athletic and Nairn Wednesday - both of whom threw in their lot with the club and the outcome was an all amateur side, captained by R J R Gordon who is still in business in the town, and the club battled its way back into the limelight, to reach the North FA cup final only to lose 2-1 to the now defunct Inverness Citadel.

MORGANTI TAKES OVER

It was about this time that the former Clach official the late Mr A Morganti, came to Nairn, where he soon became Nairn County's President.   During his term of office, a stand was built and the ground reconstructed.  The opening ceremony was performed by Celtic, in Coronation Year, 1937.
The following season, the County were once again on the losing side in a North FA Cup Final.  This time they went down 2-1 to Inverness Jags.
Mr Morganti, whose memory is commemorated forever by the Highland League (Morganti) cup, died in 1941, and in this the club's Jubilee year, it is only right that his services and those of all the earlier players and officials, should be remembered,  not only with gratitude, but also with pride.
In common with other clubs throughout the country, the post-war period had its problems for Nairn County - but their history gradually took a different shape.
More to follow.

No-one will deny that the most attractive, as well as the most valuable of the county players was David Johnston, now with Aberdeen and formerly with Hearts.  He was a goal scorer par excellence and his 75 in one season stands as a record in the North.
 
 

Back to County Home Page